February 26, 2013

About the bread...

I have planned way too much for today. It seems that I wanted to squeeze in the undone things from yesterday, today's errands  and some of tomorrow's. Well, let's just say that it is not a good way of planning:)

Kateri had her "shadowing" in Pegasus program. She did like the school and the way of learning.
Next Saturday she needs to attend a five hour interview and later the parents will have their own interview too!!! What if she won't be admitted because her parents failed?!
Anyway...I do not want to get too excited. The program sounds great and tempting but first she needs to be accepted and then there is the tuition...

Zuzanna had her first afterschool activity. Karate. That girl is so easy to pleased. Her ear to ear smile, while I picked her up, told me everything:)

Kubus had his " being away from anybody he knows" time. He did cry a lot:(
Apparently, when I left, he stopped crying and happily played with trucks for over an hour. I think I took it worse that he. On the other hand it was nice to talk with other moms and converse about CHILDREN, mothering, Hawaii, homesteading, home improving and CHILDREN again. So much for "Time Out", right?

My errands in the morning kept me out of the house until 2pm. Not good. The bread was waiting to be baked, the enchiladas to be made, the girls to be picked up, homeworks, afterschooling, sewing, work out and so on...

I have succeed in baking the bread, about which this post was supposed to be.

Few of my, I like to think, faithful readers, had asked me about the recipe. I have posted a link, but I do not mind sharing my adventures in breadmaking:)

In the evening I mix, in the big, pasta pot ( you can use a bowl ):

6 cups of unbleached flour,
1/2 tsp of yeast
1 Tbl of salt
2 1/2-3/4 cups of cold water.

The whole process takes me 5 minutes .

Then I cover it with a lid, and put a kitchen towel over it.
I keep the dough on the countertop overnight.

In the morning the dough is ready. Any time of that day is good to continue.



I uncover the dough, dust it with a flour and spread the kitchen towel on the countertop. I dust it with flour too. Then I take the dough out and try to shape it into a ball, pulling it under. It is actually quite easy. After it is shaped into a ball, I place it on the towel, dust it again and cover it. Then I have to make sure, that Kubus doesn't mistake it for a play dough. It had happened in my house:)


After about 2 hours, I place a cast iron (5 or 6 qt) pot into the oven and preheat it to 425 F.
When the oven is ready, I take the lid off, with a very well insulated kitchen mitten!, and put the dough in. It took me few tries to get hang of it, and the flour was and still is flying all over, but that's OK.


I put the lid back on and bake it for 45 minutes.





Then I take lid off and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more.


When the bread is ready I take it out of the oven and TRY to cool it down...:) It is really hard to resist the smell of a freshly baked bread:)

 I have mentioned, it doesn't always work out the way I plan. So I have skipped the afterschooling, the sewing and the dinner post, and there is no a chance for my Tuesday work out. I am afraid that my personal wii coach is going to quit...

Kubus kept himself occupied and even tried to "help" with cooking.


They have to learn early, right?


But if Zuzia's homework and Kubus' train will have any impact on their cooking skills, that's a different story:) Not to mention the teddy bear!


   Kinga.

No comments:

Post a Comment